New Thread

Notifications

Subscribe You’re not receiving notifications from this thread.

Thoughts on Modern Art.

Art • Asked 26 days ago by PlayerZ3D

Profile picture for the comic artist, PlayerZ3D PlayerZ3D Commented on Jul 30, 2019

Feel free to discuss where you think the line is for something to be considered art, just remember, if everything is art, than nothing is.

Profile picture for the comic artist, Ramora Ramora Commented on Jul 31, 2019

Hmm...
Never given it much thought and have no idea what modern art really is, I've just been avoiding it like plague since I passed the classes in art school.

So my hastily put together thoughts:

+ Things you put real effort in, drawing, painting, skulpting, and make them look good that can be art. I do not care much for the must evoke feelings like happiness or sadness and such, but the "wooow" reaction I approve off.

-If the artwork needs to be explained to understand what it is, I do not consider it art.
-Random color blotches or lines is only art if my toddlers are drawing them..
-Toilet seats and other random junk can have nice design but is not art.
-Photographs can be emotional and all that but I cant really consider them art...
-Displaying poop or rotten meat or sitting naked in a room do not get my art approval either.

Edit:
Something without any real use but you like looking at it - thats art.

Profile picture for the comic artist, ArelaEstudio ArelaEstudio Commented on Aug 01, 2019

I like McCloud deffinition of art. Pharaphrasing, any action besides basic survival needs may be considered art. Now, such actions (like singing or drawing in our caase) usually have a reason. A tought/emotion/story hold inside; but if it becomes "the most concealed idea there ever was" or "it is what you want it to be" then it becomes a void action.
So for me, the line is about how much sense/content does the art have.

Profile picture for the comic artist, Potato Man Potato Man Commented on Aug 05, 2019

Everything is art. Fight me.

Profile picture for the comic artist, Potato Man Potato Man Commented on Aug 05, 2019

Everything is art. Fight me.

Profile picture for the comic artist, PlayerZ3D PlayerZ3D Commented on Aug 05, 2019

Is going to the bathroom art?

Profile picture for the comic artist, PlayerZ3D PlayerZ3D Commented on Aug 05, 2019

Is going to the sitting in a chair art?

Is going to the going to sleep art?

I accidentally triple posted so I just edited the messages lol

Profile picture for the comic artist, jamdaddy jamdaddy Mod Commented on Aug 08, 2019

@ArelaEstudio - I think that's closest to where I stand. I don't believe that anything can be art, but I don't believe that our conception of what "art" is has to be nearly as pretentious as it can be.

If something was created to express an emotion, or an idea, then it could be art. Of course, that doesn't determine if that art is in fact 'good'.

Profile picture for the comic artist, St Anger St Anger Commented on Aug 12, 2019

Modern art can look nice but it doesn't really have anything to offer so it is pretty forgettable.

I think that surreal art is probably my favorite, bonus points if it explores themes of human psyche or tendencies.

(P.S. Things such as trash bags or toilet seat aren't art because it is something you would care to look at nor does it provide any sort of message.)